Funding a Revocable Living Trust

Creating a trust does not mean that your assets automatically transfer into the trust. Once a Living Trust has been created it is the responsibility of the Trustor (person who created the trust) to fund the trust or transfer title of the assets into the trust.

Transferring real property to a trust requires a deed; usually a quit claim deed. The deed needs to be executed as required by law in the state where the property is located, with the required notary provision, recording with the appropriate agency, etc. You may need to file a copy of the trust document, or a summary of the trust called a memorandum of trust or certificate of trust. This summary is preferable because it is typically one or two pages and avoids having the details of the trust document in the public record.

If your property is subject to a mortgage or a homeowners association, you may need to obtain the permission of the lender and the association.

Caution: A real property transfer normally results in a transfer tax and other fees. Some states, like California, exempt the transfer to a Living Trust, some charge a nominal fee, and others consider it a sale at full market value and assess the full taxes and fees. For a personal residence, some states give a homestead exemption (resulting in lower annual property taxes), and some limit the annual amount of property tax increase. You want to be sure that a transfer won’t incur substantial fees, or eliminate such homestead or tax increase protections.

If personal property has a title document (cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, ATVs, boats, airplanes), it will be necessary to obtain a new title showing the Living Trust as the owner.

Personal property without a title document (furniture, books, jewelry, tools, collectibles, etc.), can be transferred with an assignment of ownership document, which must be signed and dated. A good Living Trust document will include an assignment of personal property.

Take your trust to your bank and they will assist you in transferring your savings, checking, and money market accounts into your trust. It may require closing the account and opening a new account in the name of the trust.

If you want to do this with a Certificate of Deposit (CD), be sure that your bank won’t consider this an early withdrawal and assess penalties. You can wait for the CD to mature, then open a new CD in the name of the trust.

Your broker can advise you how to retitle a brokerage account or get stock and bond certificates reissued (a complex process). A nonqualified annuity can be retitled, or the trust can be made a beneficiary.

Interests in partnerships and LLCs, and shares in a corporation, can be retitled in the name of the trust. Check the partnership agreement, LLC operating agreement, or articles of incorporation for transfer restrictions or procedures.

Your trust can be the owner and/or the beneficiary of a life insurance policy. Making the trust the owner allows the trustee to manage the policy in the event you become mentally incapacitated, such as borrowing against the policy to obtain funds for your care.

Caution: In many states the cash value of a policy is exempt from creditors, but only if it is owned by the individual. Protection against creditors may be lost if ownership is transferred. Instead, you could use a power of attorney to allow someone to manage the policy.

Whoever pays the royalties can advise you what is required to transfer the interest to your trust. Consult the United States Copyright Office for copyrights and the United States Patent and Trademark Office for patents and trademarks.

The nature of these rights varies. If the rights are part of property you own, you can use a deed. If you own rights in property you don’t own or have a lease or royalty agreement, an assignment of rights document will be necessary. Contact whoever pays you to learn what will be required to make the change. The document may need to be recorded. This is a complicated area, so you may want to consult an attorney.

An assignment of rights is a legal document changing who has the right to a debt it can make your trust the recipient of payments received on loans you have made to anyone (such as an unsecured personal loan or a loan secured by a mortgage).

Some assets may not be transferred to a trust, but you may be able to make the trust the beneficiary upon your death. These assets include:

  • Retirement Accounts. Do not retitle any qualified retirement account, such as IRAs, 401(k)s, 403(b)s, or qualified annuities; including those in brokerage accounts. This will be considered a withdrawal of the funds, subjecting them to income tax and maybe penalties. Instead, change your beneficiary designation. Whether your trust should be the primary or secondary beneficiary depends upon your situation and tax laws (spouse would usually be the first beneficiary).
  • Medical Savings Accounts (MSAs) and Health Savings Accounts (HSAs). Your trust should be designated as either the primary or secondary beneficiary (like a qualified retirement account).

By transferring your assets into your Living Trust, you bring them under the legal protection of this powerful estate planning tool. Once the trust is funded, the assets it holds will be protected from probate and offer your family peace of mind.

To schedule an appointment to discuss the above matters with an attorney,
call (800) 529-5570 or email

Tags: Living Trust a California Living Trust, California Living Trust attorney, California Living Trust lawyer, united states trust law, California Living Trust, A-B  Living Trust, real property law, special needs trust, trust law, federal taxes, Living Trust, lawyer, attorneys, trustee, trusts, probate, attorney, hart, Morris, lawyers, equity, inheritance, probate, Trust Administration

The information you obtain on this website is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult with an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.